Pickled dills in plastic? Turmeric is the key to freshness.
Who knew that a spice used from ancient times as a coloring agent in foods could also keep plastic-packaged dill pickles fresh?
Unlike glass containers, plastic jars or pouches â€œbreathe,â€ allowing oxygen and other gases to seep inside over time. This can eventually lead to oxidative off-flavors in pickled cucumbers.
Pickle packers would like to use more plastic packaging because itâ€™s lighter and less breakable than glass jarsâ€”and can be easier to open.
Now research has shown that simply adding just the amount of turmeric currently used as a yellow coloring in some commercial pickles can prevent buildup of flavor-altering aldehydes and result in good quality fresh-pack dills.
Reference: Science Update, Agricultural Research Service, USDA, ARS.
Breast Cancer Prevention with Whey Protein
Potassium Food Sources & Food High in Potassium
Losing Weight? Copper in Your Diet Saves Your Bones
Antioxidants in Chocolate & Heart Disease
Folic Acid Deficiency – Causes and Health Consequences
Benefits of (Curcumin) Turmeric Enhanced by Black Pepper
Soy Protein Lowers Cholesterol
Vitamin C Raises HDL Cholesterol Levels
More Articles of Interest:
- Oyster Mushrooms Facts
- Breast Cancer Prevention with Whey Protein
- Turmeric Benefits: Turmeric Benefits Weight Loss and Diabetes!
- Benefits of (Curcumin) Turmeric Enhanced by Black Pepper
- Mushrooms Contain Copper, Potassium, Folate and Niacin
- Garlic Lowers High Blood Pressure and Triglycerides
- High Protein Food Content and Weight loss
- DHA Supplements Affect Triglycerides and Cholesterol